Friday, August 21, 2009

Someone mocked my lazy attempt to avoid writing anything new...


Ryan (my friend ryan jones) posited a complaint (via email) earlier today about my scheme to post old entries onto my blog. Apparently some of you think that I am lazy. I would argue that I am too busy. (But, one man's lazy is another man's busy). Regardless of the truth, here is what I will do:

I am going to post a new entry alongside the old one. This could be confusing, or disorienting....but, it's a risk I am willing to take.

So here is something that happened to me recently that was interesting:

As I was studying Romanian the other day, I was paging through a book put together by former Peace Corps volunteers and language trainers. The title is 1001 Romanian Verbs. Normally in our lives, we take titles of books for granted. We do not think they lie. We do not think they are incorrect. When we pick up a book with ATLAS written on the cover, we do not think that the pages inside will be the dessert menu at Denny's. Yet, for some reason I had a hunch that there were not actually 1001 Romanian verbs in that book. The weight of its pages and the amount of ink used just did not add up. Moreover, given the fact that my current job is slow and the person who is responsible for training me is on vacation, I decided it was as good a time as any to count verbs.

GUESS WHAT: there are 1076 Romanian verbs in that book. Yeah, that's right - I proved that stupid book wrong. I believe the appropriate term here is "BOO YA."


...LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, This game's score is...
MATT: 1 PEACE CORPS: 0

That's right Peace Corps - you've got to get up pretty early in the morning to pull one over on old Uncle Matt.

Anyway, that is my post...I hope you're happy Ryan, because that's all the new stuff I've got right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment